The Nature of Counselling
Counselling aims to help reduce emotional distress and/or facilitate a problem-solving process. Please feel free to ask questions at any time regarding your counselling experience. It is helpful to keep the following points in mind as well:
- Although the long-term goal of counselling is to resolve difficulties, there may be temporary emotional discomfort during the counselling session when sensitive issues are explored.
- The counselling process ends when you feel you have attained your goals or when no further progress is being made. It is helpful to evaluate progress on an ongoing basis. Many people return after a period of time for further counselling as needed.
Once an appointment has been scheduled, I will call you at the pre-determined time to discuss your concerns. Sessions are booked in hourly increments. However, if the issues to be discussed take no more than 3⁄4 or 1⁄2 an hour, then you will be charged a pro rated amount. The cost of counselling is $190.00 per hour, $142.50 for 3⁄4 hour and $95.00 for a half-hour. So long as you reside in Ontario and have extended health insurance coverage, these fees will be covered by your plan.
If fees are a concern, please make sure to check your insurance coverage prior to our counselling session since all plans differ. You may also require a referral note from your doctor in order to make your claim. My fees are covered under the psychological services section of your plan. If your coverage is extremely limited and counselling seems unaffordable, please speak to me prior to our appointment time so that special accommodations may be made. Once payment has been received, I will issue you with a receipt which you may submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.
As you will see at the end of the paper counselling information form, I am requesting your credit card number when you I book your appointment in order to hold the time for you. As with all other information received from you, this will be kept completely confidential. As noted, you may give permission that I collect payment from VISA on your behalf, sending an email transfer, or you have the option of submitting a cheque made out to Sara Dimerman within 10 days. So long as I receive payment within that time period, I will not bill your credit card for payment of your account.
Please note that all NSF cheques are subject to a $12.00 service charge.
Also note that I require 24 hours notice if you wish to cancel your telephone appointment. True emergencies excepted, half of your normal fee ($90.00) will be charged for sessions which are not cancelled 24 hours in advance. This WILL be charged to your credit card.
If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me via voice mail, which is available 24 hours a day, at (905) 882-7690. Calls will normally be returned within 24 hours. You may also email me via the contact page.
Limits of Confidentiality
Information discussed is held in confidence and will not be shared with others without express permission, with the following exceptions:
- Information regarding possible or actual child abuse (physical, emotional and/or sexual)
- Information regarding sexual abuse by a member of a regulated health profession
- Records which are summoned under subpoena or other court directives or which are otherwise required by law or by regulations of the College of Psychologists of Ontario. I am obligated to keep and retain records for a period of ten years following termination of counselling or ten years following a client’s 18th birthday if I terminate counselling prior to age eighteen.