Sara Dimerman in conversation with Giselle Bloch, about understanding what transgender means, from a parent’s perspective. Over the course of this episode you will learn more about:
- Understanding words used in the LGBTQ+ community and beyond, such as transgender and cisgender, non binary and pronouns they/them.
- The difference between gender identity and sexuality.
- Giselle’s personal experience as a parent of a transgender son.
- The stages of transition for transgender folks.
- Some of the uncomfortable questions people have asked Giselle along the way and advice on a sensitive way to discuss a child transitioning with their parent.
- How to guide a transgender adult child to advocate for themselves and how to educate family members – grandparents, for example, who might not understand or might be judgemental.
- Support systems that are in place for transgender youth and their parents/families.
- How actors such as Jeffrey Tambor who played a transgender role on Transparent, Laverne Cox on Orange is the New Black and reality TV stars Caitlyn Jenner and Jazz on I Am Jazz helped to raise people’s awareness of what being transgender means.
Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!